Sales Tax Accountant IIJob Number: 3833
The Sales Tax Accountant II reports directly to the Sales Tax Supervisor and is primarily responsible for sales tax compliance for multiple state and local jurisdictions. Requires a working knowledge of sales tax regulations and the ability to research and react to the ever changing tax laws. Prepares required tax calculations and filings for review by Sales Tax Manager. Ensures all compliance or other tax area deadlines are met and work is accurate and complete. Strong Excel and tax software skills, strong verbal and written communication, working knowledge of accounting fundamentals are required.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Prepare, reconcile, and upload monthly tax returns for sales, use, excise, and cigarettes in accordance with respective state requirements.
- Calculate sales and use tax remittance as well prepare corresponding journal entries
- Analyze monthly accruals for use tax on purchases - requires running SAP reports and determining the correct taxability of invoices.
- Prepare accurate monthly G/L account reconciliations for those accounts utilized by sales tax department.
- Key and compile data for sales tax reporting for various department sales
- Ensure IRS Form 8300 compliance - requires daily monitoring of cash sales over $10,000 at all store locations.
- Research tax regulations as issues arise
- Maintain tax tables in SAP - required monitoring of tax rate changes as they arise.
- Working independently on special projects (technical research, cross functional initiatives, etc.) as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree or 1-3 years sales tax or accounting experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Great team player attitude and the ability to multi-task is required
- Knowledge of state and local sales tax regulations preferred
- Strong Excel skills required, SAP, and Taxware experience preferred